Thursday, March 12, 2015

Into the Wilderness: Day 15

Last night I had the amazing opportunity to speak at my brain tumor support group. I spoke about the essentiality of walking this wilderness road with others and being willing to open ourselves up in vulnerability and give and receive hospitality. To share life with another requires me to give up a piece of myself; some protection and security I wrap around my heart. When walking the wilderness road we may need to help others walking with us know that we’re okay being vulnerable. That this isn’t weakness, but even if it is, we’re okay with weakness. That we don’t need anyone to fix it, or make us stronger, just walk with us. The surprise and the mystery, however, is that when we add our lives together we get more than the sum total each other. Something new is created: 1+1=3.

"Jesus emptied himself...therefore, God exalted him." Philippians 2:5-11

God, the story I hear every day is that success is when I become truly self-reliant. Yet, I confess,  I need you, and I need others. May I open my heart, expose my vulnerability, and allow new life in. In the name of Jesus, who surrendered himself that new life may be possible for all. Amen  

No comments: