Monday, March 23, 2015

Into the Silent Land: Day 27

I’ve been preaching through the Apostles’ Creed. Yesterday was: “I believe in the forgiveness of sins.” I think this affirmation is absolutely essential to journeying in the silent land. We believe in the forgiveness of sin; that big picture idea that God in Christ has defeated sin and death. But, notice, the affirmation says, “I believe in the forgiveness of sins.” To affirm “I believe in forgiveness of sin” is to affirm, “I believe in the forgiveness of sinS.” This takes a larger theological claim and puts flesh and blood on it. While in the silent land, my mind is full of sins I can’t seem to allow God to forgive me of, as well as sins I can’t seem to release others from. Forgiveness of sins, however, frees us to live the life of wholeness and joy God invites us into. 


“God of freedom and grace, I’ve held onto sins because of shame. I’ve kept them from your grace because I doubted your grace could reach that deep. Today, however, I lay them all before you. Take them away. Take away the shame. Free me. And, as I receive your mercy and grace, I also lay before you all those sins I’ve felt from others. Strengthen me with power to forgive and extend the same grace toward others that I embrace from you. In the name of Jesus, the one who carried all sin(s) deep into your love. AMEN!

No comments: