Monday, March 09, 2015

Into the Wilderness: Day 14

"If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them." James 4:17

I had big plans for today. When I started this Lenten journey of reflecting on the wilderness for 40 days before Easter, I included as part of it my plans to run the “Run for the Rose” 5K the Sunday after Easter. This is a brain tumor research run. For 4.5 years I’ve been sitting on my butt feeling sorry for myself because the glory days of my athletic prowess are behind me. My goal for today was to break 9 min for a mile. The Wilderness couldn't care less about our plans, so it’s a 100% of rain all day. I also planned to be on day 17, so, I'm 3 posts behind, but sickness, busyness, blah, blah, blah… All excuses. Only one thing has kept me from keeping up. ME!

There is something so freeing about owning our own lives. Certainly when I look at myself, and as I reflect on all the people I have spiritually directed the past 20 years, what has kept us all from moving forward is an unwillingness to own our lives. Own our mistakes. Own the ways we deeply reject God’s way. It’s not complicated. It’s not easy, nothing worthwile is, but it isn’t complicated. DO THE RIGHT THING! And do the right thing TODAY. I may actually run my mile today in the rain. Check back later to see how it turned out.

No comments: