Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Into the Wilderness: Day 6

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart...."
I understand the image Jesus uses here is a double yoke.
One would attach a more experienced animal to a less experienced one so as to train him how to plow. Jesus has invited me to come alongside him to learn the rhythm of traveling the wilderness road. 
One of the many challenges I continue to face in the wilderness is not so much embracing the wilderness journey (it doesn't really matter if I embrace it or not, I'm on it) but learning the best rhythms of the journey. I still find myself impatient that I'm not further along, medicine isn't further along, it's been four years and I'm still tweaking my meds to get the right combination of anti-seizure control, yet not walking around like a zombie, or sleeping all day. I'm impatient that it takes years and decades for new treatments to be FDA approved for the public. I want to get to the place on the journey where everyday is a smile and a skip and an authentic testimony of how God and I are through it. I want to run through the wilderness so I can look back and see the amazing journey I traveled with God and others. I want to get passed the dramatic physical and emotional and spiritual ups and downs and find the smooth, carved out path in the wilderness. 
Jesus says, "Slow Down! The wilderness isn't something to 'get through' but a road you learn to walk on." Jesus says, "I'm gentle. If you want soul rest, you're going to have to learn a slower rhythm. I'm not in a hurry. I would rather you learn to walk well, than walk fast."
God of sacred rhythms, may I learn to walk well, walk faithfully, and walk humbly, and leave the terrain up to you." Amen


No comments: