Saturday, February 21, 2015

Into the Wilderness: Day 4


Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’” Matthew 4:10

How often do I speak to my testings? This requires the discipline to not merely reflect on my life, but reflect on the “me” who is reflecting on my life. I spend a lot of time talking to myself; speaking of my frustrations, disillusionments, unhealed pain, and guilt.

But, I need to back away from myself and not talk, but simply observe. Observe the source of the temptations, the tests. Observe myself who seems so stuck in the test and ask, “Why is this a test for me? Why is resistance to this test such a challenge? What need do I think will be met by this temptation? What kind of wholeness does this temptation promise?” Then, rather than speak to myself of guilt, shame, or frustration, I speak to the temptation, “AWAY FROM ME,” because I have spoken the truth about the lie that stands behind the temptation.

“God, your love is the source of my wholeness. I confess there are many lies buried deep within me that whisper “flesh, eye, pride will make you whole.” I speak to these “Away From Me.” Give me the courage to trust your way and the patience to wait for your filling." AMEN

No comments: