Friday, November 03, 2006

Save Me, God...

Over the past year “Salvation” has become the dominant image in my spiritual formation. God’s ultimate salvation for me is not some legal transaction that happens in his mind, rather, it is transformation and union with him. What follows is a metaphorical prayer I wrote for the parts of my body to be “saved” by God. Imagine each part and its various spiritual natures.

Salvation belongs to you God. May I enter today deeper into your salvation. Save me Father, in Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit. Save my tongue that I may speak blessing to you and others; that I may praise you and cry to you; that I may announce the Good News of Jesus Christ. Save my eyes that I may look upon your holiness and not upon the profane; that I may see your vision for my life and others. Save my arms that I may embrace others and welcome them into my life; that I may hold them close and consider their interests. Save my feet that I may go to the margins where Christ is and serve others there; that I may walk where Jesus walked among sinners. Save my ears that I may hear you speak through your word, through others, in the quiet, in the darkness and the light. Save my hands that they may bring the loving, compassionate, touch of Jesus. Save my mind that I may think and know your truth and be set free. Save my heart that I may feel and experience your presence; that I may feel and experience the fragile human experience. Save my inward being that I may be poured out, emptied of all pride, power, and self significance. Save my soul that I may share in your divine nature.

No comments: