Friday, November 03, 2006

Adapted from Fred Craddock.

It was a hot summer evening. I was sitting in the back of the church near an open window. The preacher was preaching on his favorite text, “Better be safe than sorry-Fools rush in.” When this guy came to the window and said, “Danny let’s go.” I said, “Where are you going.” He said, “We’re going to a place where there is treasure in a bunch of broken down clay jars.” I said, “You’re kidding.” He continued, “We’re going to a place where the outcasts, the poor and marginalized sit at the front of the table.” I said, “No way.” “Yes, we’re going where the servants are the greatest. Where there is abundant life if only you’re willing to give up life first.” I said “That’s risky.” He said, “Come on, we’re going where people give up privilege for the sake of others and receive in return eternal privileges.” “No, no, that’s too risky,” I said. “You guys go ahead. I don’t want to go.” When the preacher finished his talk, he came back and asked, “Danny, who was at the window?” I said, “I don’t know, I had never seen them before.” “Were they a large group?” I said, “No, no, there seemed to be a leader and about twelve others with him. They talked about life, but it was too risky, I didn't go.”

No comments: